50 Ways to Keep Happy as January 20th Approaches
I hate everything about politics. I am usually a very non-confrontational person unless backed into a corner where I then turn into a blood-suck tiger woman at the peak of her pre-menstrual hormonal change. Politics are the opposite of my personality, lots of lying and scheming and yelling and friends v. friends. It should come as no surprise that because of these ill feelings towards politics I also hate getting involved in politics which is why I try to steer clear of the subject when writing. The two practically hold hands but I know with the upcoming date of our president-elect becoming plain old’ president, there are plenty of people who feel as if they have been punched in the gut.
I feel you.
It had been a dismal election season for a number of obvious reasons, and personal opinions, I won’t get into here. We have all heard them by now, but I wanted to send out a reminder that we can’t lose hope and to try to spread as much love as we can and continue to move forward. The fact of the matter is the things are the way that they are going to be, for now, and we may not know what hands in our future but we have to put our best foot forward towards building an earth we want to live on while continuing to be our happiest.
If you are short on ideas of how to keep happy come, January 20th then don’t worry! I’ve created a list that I know I will be using that Friday so I wanted to share with you all to, you know, spread the happy.
- Listen to all of your favorite music while getting dressed in the morning
- Do a craft project!
- Get your favorite coffee or tea, regardless of price or calories
- Be active, go for a walk, do yoga, lift some weights, ANYTHING! Just do it
- Avoid Facebook comment section on ANY news articles
- Make plans to take a weekend road trip to somewhere you’ve meant to visit
- Watch a lot of old disco dance videos
- Call out every backhanded comment you hear
- Be polite and kind to marketing, credit card payment reminder and other phone calls we typically dread
- Love on a fur-friend
- Turning your headphones all the way up and singing along without being able to hear your voice
- Talk to people about what their passion is and learning
- Watch Planet Earth II (Just trust me, guys.)
- Make your home as comforting as possible. Light a fire, make your favorite soup, put on your jammies and nestle into your comfy nest
- Smile at everyone and count how many people smile back
- Remind your friends how much you love and appreciate them, genuinely
- Meditate and reflect on the good you have in your life
- Avoid the news and negativity, even if that means unplugging for a day
- Go shopping at a thrift store that supports a good cause
- Donate money to your favorite charity or cause you believe in
- Read the biography of someone who inspires you
- Eat some raw honeycomb (because it tastes so dope and honey is happiness in food form)
- Hold hands with someone you love
- Make a delicious salad for lunch and use the leafs to do a fan dance for you cat
- Go out and educate yourself - try to find a silver lining rather than letting the negative beat you down
- Watch some stand-up and laugh
- Take a moment to call some friends and family to catch up and make it a point not to talk about anything negative - focus on the happy
- Go out for a walk and get some fresh air (remind yourself it's all going to be ok)
- Tuck yourself into bed early for a full night's sleep
- Write some long over-do thank you notes
- Look at all the places in the world you want to visit and start to plan it with no date set in mind
- Look at this dog https://pixabay.com/en/dog-smile-outdoor-paste-variety-1558962/
- Wake up early and put your outfit in the dryer so when you get dressed it's all nice and toasty warm
- Unsubscribe from 5 annoying repetitive email campaigns
- Do a puzzle with friends - TEAMWORK!
- Go out to your favorite restaurant and not worry about the bill
- Take a class to learn something you’ve always wanted to learn without the fear of failure
- Look through old photos and take a trip down memory lane
- Make a point to smell nice
- Create a pen name for yourself and give it to your barista next time you order coffee
- Make finger puppets and put on a show for your cat
- Take a bubble bath
- Watch your favorite music video with lots of dancing
- Eat lots of fiber at night, so you wake up with a great poop
- Splurge on an infuser bottle and drink some tasty water
- Complete some mad libs
- Wear whatever the hell you want out, seriously
- Adopt an animal who needs a home
- Make it a point to finish one task that you have been avoiding to show yourself that you get shit done.
- Say ‘Thank You’ to those who deserve it and mean it
Keep happy all.